Engineers, especially those in NSBE DFW, just simply make things cooler. Don’t believe us? Read on…
The mission of the National Society of Black Engineers is “to increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.”
Some of the nonprofit’s primary objectives include stimulating and developing student interest in the various engineering disciplines, increasing the number of minority students studying engineering at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and promoting public awareness of engineering opportunities for Blacks and other minorities in the profession.
Technical Outreach Community Help (T.O.R.C.H) is one of NSBE’s signature programs. It is a community service initiative that utilizes the technical backgrounds of NSBE members in order to positively impact the community. Program components include:
- STEM Community Training – Formal classroom style education in STEM fields aimed at both youth and adults.
- Informal Engineering and Science Education – casual outreach activities, targeted at youth, which aim to show how science & engineering can be fun.
- A Walk for Education – A single day outreach activity aimed at encouraging youth to be better prepared for higher educational opportunities in STEM fields, and in general.
- Technical Expertise Services – Using our technical skills to provide a direct service to the community.
- Traditional Community Service Activities – Any other type of community service: food & clothing drives, volunteering at a shelter, etc.
High school, collegiate, and professions (members and non-members) are welcomed to help with projects and facilitators with presentations.Sessions date and times for volunteers to sign-up are here.
Middle school students (6th-8th grade) are encouraged to register prior to attending an session and have their parents sign the participant form(s) located here. All completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com.
SPECIAL FEBRUARY EVENT – 2.27.16
The DFW National Society of Black Engineers Professionals Chapter & the Dallas Poetry Slam Proudly Present the 2016 Wine Tasting and Poetry Scholarship Fundraiser
2/27/16 7PM – 9:30PM
- Wine Tasting sponsored by Premier360
- Beer provided by Deep Ellum Brewing Company
- Live music
- Slam poetry from various artists of the Dallas Poetry Slam
- Live radio and media coverage by Tha Reality Is
- Silent auction hosted by Tyson’s Fundrasing (amazing authentic memorabilia items include autographs from: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and the PGA and 50 vacation packages worldwide including: Las Vegas, Orlando, Hawaii, Spain & Greece)
For non-members, tickets are $35 ($45 at the door). Click HERE to party for a very special cause.